Skip to main content

Information for Individuals Identifying as LBGTQ+

I am being discriminated against or harassed based on my gender, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation.  Can OIE help me?

Yes.  The Policy on Relationship Violence and Sexual Misconduct (RVSM) prohibits sexual harassment, which includes harassment of a sexual nature based on one's gender, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation.  OIE can investigate claims of sexual harassment based on these categories.

Discrimination or harassment based on gender that does not involve unwanted sexual attention is prohibited gender discrimination under the University’s Anti-Discrimination Policy (ADP) and is also investigated by OIE. Gender discrimination includes discrimination and harassment based on sex or gender, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation.  This includes acts of intimidation or hostility, whether verbal or non-verbal, graphic, physical, or otherwise, even if the acts do not involve conduct of a sexual nature.

What is gender identity?

A person’s internal knowledge of their own gender.

What is gender expression?

A person’s external presentation of themselves, whether through appearance or behavior, as masculine, feminine, or androgynous. 

How does MSU define discrimination or harassment?

Please see the Get Help with Discrimination or Harassment section of this website.

What are some examples of discrimination and/or harassment based on gender identity or expression or sexual orientation that are prohibited by MSU's policies?

  • Being made to use a bathroom that does not correspond with your gender identity
  • Being denied health care based on your gender identity or expression or sexual orientation
  • Being told to dress in a way that conforms with another person's conception of how you should present your gender
  • Being called names or slurs based on the way you express or identify your gender or your sexual orientation
  • Being denied a work or educational opportunity because of the way you express or identify your gender or your sexual orientation
  • Being prevented from participating in any University activity (such as a club, group, study abroad program, sport, etc.) due to your gender identity or expression or sexual orientation

What if I want resources and information, but do not want OIE to investigate?

OIE can direct you to places on-campus where you can seek information and help.  OIE can also help you get interim measures in place if you are being sexually harassed, and take other actions to remedy the discrimination or harassment.  Depending on the facts of the specific situation, this might include:

  • Providing academic, housing, or employment accommodations
  • Providing additional training or education
  • Making campus or facility safety improvements
  • Reviewing policies or procedures
  • Reviewing reporting protocols with individual employees

At times, in order to provide a safe, non-discriminatory environment for members of the campus community, OIE may not be able to honor a request for confidentiality. In such circumstances, OIE will inform the victim prior to starting an investigation and will share information only with people involved in the University’s investigation. The victim is not required to participate in the investigation.

Where can I talk to someone confidentially?

If you would like to speak with someone confidentially about your reporting options or experience, please contact one of the following resources on campus:

MSU Sexual Assault Program
(517) 355-3551
14 Student Services Building

  • Provides counseling and support groups to MSU students. 24-hour hotline and advocacy services are offered to anyone in the greater Lansing community.

MSU Safe Place
(517) 355-1100

  • Provides advocacy, emergency shelter, counseling, support groups, safety planning, information and referrals to survivors of violence and their minor children. All support services are free and confidential.

MSU Counseling Center
(517) 355-2870
207 Student Services Building

  • Provides a full range of counseling and support group services to MSU students.

Student Health Services
(517) 353-4660 

  • Olin Health Center is the primary health care facility for MSU students. Olin Health Center is home to primary care, psychiatry, allergy/immunizations, sports medicine, and health education services. Laboratory, radiology, pharmacy and physical therapy are also located at Olin. Students also have the option of receiving primary care services in the Neighborhood clinics located in Brody, Holden, Hubbard and McDonel halls.

MSU Employee Assistance Program
(517) 355-4506
330 Olin Health Center

  • Provides emotional assistance to employees and their families as they attempt to work through life changes, expected and unexpected events, chronic physical and emotional health issues, and work/life balance concerns.  Services are free and confidential.

University Ombudsperson
(517) 353-8830 
129 North Kedzie Hall

  • The University Ombudsperson is a senior faculty member appointed by the President to assist students in resolving conflicts or disputes within the university. The University Ombudsperson also helps staff members, instructors and administrators sort through university rules and regulations that might apply to specific student issues and concerns.

I am concerned about being retaliated against if I report the discrimination or harassment.

Federal civil rights laws, including Title IX, make it unlawful for the University to retaliate against an individual who brings concerns about possible civil rights violations to its attention. It is also unlawful for the University to retaliate against an individual for participating in the complaint or investigation process. If the University is made aware of retaliation against a claimant, witness, or respondent by other students, employees, or third parties, the University will immediately investigate to determine what has occurred. MSU will take strong responsive action if it occurs.

Contact OIE

4 Olds Hall
East Lansing, MI 48824
Phone: (517) 353-3922
Fax: (517) 884-8513

File a report now:
Public Incident Reporting Form
Note: this report goes directly to OIE and the MSU Police.